Check out this great list for Christian parents: “39 Lessons, 20 Tips and 10 ‘Don’ts’ for Parenting.” It is put together by Matt & Elizabeth Schmucker and posted over at IX Marks. Matt is the executive director of IX Marks and an Elder at Capitol Hill Baptist Church.
Some of my personal favorites:
(From Lessons about Ourselves…)
1. To be a faithful steward of your children you must abide in Christ (John 15:5: “I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing.”).
6. Being parented is defining; Parenting is refining.
10. To have children is to need margin in your life.
11. A disreputable life will undermine the gospel. An exemplary life will commend it.
(From Lessons about Children…)
13. Pack in truth while your children are little and trust the Lord to unpack it in his time.
20. Do not presume you will be able to speak into the lives of your older children if you do not live in their world when they are younger. Play with your children. There is a reap/sow principle at work here (2 Cor. 9:6: “Remember this: Whoever sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and whoever sows generously will also reap generously”).
29. Teach your children to receive reproof, correction, and instruction (Prov. 12:15 “The way of a fool seems right to him, but a wise man listens to advice”).
30. Let kids be kids. Let them dabble in various areas of extra-curricular activities (sports, art, drama, etc) rather than build a resume.
(From Lessons about Satan [his devices]…)
36. Arm your children for the world, not (necessarily) shield them from it. Consider getting your high-school-aged children out of the Christian bubble.
(From Lessons about God…)
37. Prayer is a mighty weapon to use in the life of your children:
a. It changes the parent’s approach to the child
b. It softens the hard-hearted child
39. God elects. God saves. Parents cannot do this heart-changing work. At best we can pray and point to the One who can cause our children to be born again.
There is a lot more excellent stuff in this article. Be sure to check it out.